Brooks Brothers has always maintained a close relationship with its customers, and as a result, its stores have always been in close proximity to them. The first location, at Cherry and Catherine Streets, was ideally situated near the thriving businesses and the bustling seaports of Lower Manhattan. As the population expanded north, the company gradually followed. Within our first 97 years of business, we occupied five various locations across the city, finalizing our flagship location at 346 Madison Avenue.
Inspired by the Italian Renaissance, the building was conceived by the architects La Farge & Morris, who also built the interiors of the Queen Mary and envisioned another structure that embodied an artful sense of permanence. When contractors Irons and Todd broke ground on January 14, 1915, they used wrought iron to construct the prominent entryways. Ornate patterns were carved into the limestone. Contrasting brick ushered the eye to the arched windows, while floral columns and the oxidized cornice graced the 10 floors above. The grand architecture was well suited for the corner of Madison and 44th Street. During the 1900s, our midtown presence was predated by such noteworthy establishments as the Ritz-Carlton, the Harvard Club and Delmonico’s. Just two blocks from Grand Central Terminal, this location has served as an opportunity for commuters to shop on their way into and out of the city.
Our flagship location is woven into the cultural narrative of New York City as a landmark that reflects a brand almost 200 years in the fold.
Our doors opened on August 2, 1915, and we began to popularize many icons of menswear, from seersucker to madras. Our flagship location is woven into the cultural narrative of New York City as a landmark that reflects a brand almost 200 years in the fold. This year marks the centennial of our Madison Avenue location, an architectural cornerstone where the finest textiles and products serve our customers to this day.